Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia reginae)
- Hardy, evergreen, clumping perennial with long bluish tinged leaves. Produces unusually shaped orange and purple flowers resembling an exotic bird, mainly in spring and summer. Bird attracting.
- Use in tropical gardens, general landscaping, in pots on the verandah or in the courtyard.
- Position: full sun to part shade in well drained soils. Will tolerate coastal conditions.
- Water requirements: low once established. Occasional watering during the hot and dry spells will keep the plant healthy.
- Size: can reach 1.5 metres in height and 1.5 metres in width. Offshoots can be removed any time of the year to thin out the clump.
- Fertilise with an organic all purpose fertiliser in spring and autumn.